So–I’ve painted my dining room furniture black and recovered the chairs. The old window treatment (that I had made and was beautiful) just didn’t do it for me anymore. Of course, being the novice that I am, I forgot to take pics of it before I jerked it down to make way for “mistreatments”. It was mounted on a board above my window so I decided to use the board in my mistreatments. I had it mounted pretty high but I knew I needed something to long to block out some of the sun. It gets extremely hot with the afternoon sun. I had some fabric I bought on clearance when we moved in here (8 yrs ago). Not sure what thought I was gonna do with. I don’t know how to sew. That is my next endeavor. I do have a great sewing machine. I digress. So…I had this fabric, a board, and leftover drop cloth from recovering the chairs. I cut the fabric in half and “hemmed” with Stitch Witchery. It wasn’t as long as I needed to I attached about 5 inches of leftover drop cloth to the top of the panels with Stitch Witchery. I used some rope that I had and hot glue to hide the seams. I tacked up my panels with upholstery tacks–just like Nester showed me how to do.
I decided to staple the remaining leftover drop cloth to the board to create a fake cornice look. It looked a bit bland. I printed out a G in a font I like, cut it out, traced around it, and painted in with black paint. Voila! Monogrammed valance. I think it turned out great for a novice!!
Close up of the hot glued rope to hide the seam.
I am linking this to Kimba’s DIY!
Woo Hoo!!! I figured out how to do it!!